17 September 2011

The Crocodiles - Tears

I've been listening to a great LP by the Crocodiles, a kiwi pop group that recorded a couple of albums circa 1979-81. Portrayed by John Dix in Stranded in Paradise as part of the old wave striking back against the punk revolution, the Crocs were experienced pros with technical skill and ideas to burn. The line-up included graphic artist Fane Flaws on vocals and guitar and actor Bruno Lawrence as drummer. Their debut album Tears (1980) still sparkles with pop-gem ideas and biting wit, such as Flaws' opening track, "New Wave Goodbye"

New Wave Goodbye - I heard you were coming and now you've arrived
I've seen you before, but I did not recognise you in that see-thru disguise...
We'll get a new band, now lemme see... how 'bout the Crocodiles?
Roll out the limousines, we'll stack the bucks in piles
Jenny Morris, who went on to a  career as a solo artist in Australia, shines on lead vocal on a few cuts - including their enduring hit, the doo-wop-y piano ballad "Tears".
You said you were an agency for paradise (ooh-wah)
I went along - it slipped my mind to check the price
Tears... I feel them on my cheeks
Tears... I've been this way for weeks
Guitarist Tony Backhouse leads a great group vocal effort on the jazzy "Its the Latest", which comments amusingly on the fickle nature of the music industry.
Here's another melody we stole from the Beatles...
I forget which song
If you recognise it, you don't win any prizes
You been around too long
I don't think this album has been re-released on CD but it deserves to be remembered and replayed. It mixes classic pop with new wave guitar edge and touches of doo-wop irony. There's hardly a dud track here. Here's to the Crocodiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment