31 July 2011

The Champagne coupe

I found out recently that those saucer-shaped champagne glasses are known as a champagne coupe. Their shallow, open bowl is accessible and easy to sip from. It's an iconix, luxurious image, from classic Hollywood films to the cascading tower of stacked champagne glasses at weddings. Sadly, the Champagne coupe appears to have faded from the 1960s with the rise of the flute glass. I'm not keen on Champagne flutes, which feel awkward and tend to break easily. That may be why I don't drink much sparkling wine.

Apparently the coupe style of Champagne glass has been undergoing a revival - according to some websites. This may be true, as I've recently been served a classic cocktail in a coupe glass on a couple of occasions. It made a nice change from the traditional v-shaped cocktail glass. In either case, a relatively short stem and broad bowl makes for easy handling. I'd happily sip a martini from a coupe any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment