29 May 2011

My liquor cabinet

I love my liquour cabinet. The front opens out to form a shelf on which to mix a drink. In the same movement, the lid slides up and back to reveal a treasure trove within a mirrored interior. The exterior is mahogany veneer. I'd guess it dates from the early 1960s. I pretend its modernist-inspired, although in reality it has cabriole legs and slightly ornate handles.

What forms the basis of a well-stocked liquor cabinet? Here are a few essentials for preparing classic cocktails and mixed drinks.
  • Spirits - a decent gin (e.g. Tanqueray), a white rum, a brandy and a blended whisky.
  • Liqueurs - Cointreau is the most useful. I also like maraschino, a clear cherry liqueur that is not too sweet.
  • Fortified wines - dry/white vermouth and sweet/red vermouth are essential. I also stock a sherry for drinking neat.
  • Bitters - Campari and Angostura bitters are essential. Peychaud's is also a classic. Orange bitters, popular pre-war, are now undergoing a resurgence. 
With access to fresh lemon and lime juices, and plenty of ice on hand, preparing a range of classic drinks is possible. Items such as bitters can last a long time, as only small amounts are used. I like the bottles to appear full, so where possible, I top them up from refills kept in the little cupboard under the main compartment. I probably get as much enjoyment from stocking the cabinet as I do from preparing and consuming drinks.

Time to freshen up before dinner. Aperitif, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big drinker, but suddenly I'm very thirsty when I see your liquor cabinet.

    ReplyDelete